Friday, June 15, 2012

One for the Money

A financial advisor from the IVF office called this morning. Hands down the NICEST person I have ever dealt with, medically speaking, in my entire life. And that's saying something because I have dealt with A LOT of them. But I guess when you are calling to collect $9500, you kinda have to be nice.

Yep, that was not a typo! You heard read it correctly. $10,000 smackeroos. And that's only half. And yet, she had me laughing, cracking jokes even. But she sounded so..I don't know...GENUINE. Like she really was on our side. Like she really wanted this to pay off for us. Like nothing would make her happier. She even gave specifics of our last appointment which made it seem like she was actually GASP! reading our chart. I mean who is this godly women? And how do I find more like her?

Polar opposite of the last place who insisted their billing system was NEVER wrong and fought me every step of the way over three charges I insisted WERE wrong. I finally gave up, figuring said world famous teaching hospital needed that money more than I did (god knows they need another shiny weird unidentifiable sculpture in the cafeteria) and paid it. And yesterday got a nice big ole fat refund check for the exact amount I was fighting. **sigh**  I'm too tired to even bitch about make fun of the anymore...... Althought a huge part of me wants to mail them a copy of the check with TOLD YOU SO written across the top BUT I'll just let that one lie. Don't want to spoil the illusion for them or anything. (insert eye roll here)

So this is the last weekend we get to spend with a hufe chunk of our life savings. I wonder how we should handle it. Cash it out and roll around in it? Print out the statement and light it on fire? Hold a vigil?   I'm thinking it deserves at least a round or 10 of cocktails!!  Yeah that sounds about right. Cheers to you, you money, you payer of the hopeful conception of my child(ren), you opportunity for my hopes and dreams to come true, you reason I don't jump off the nearest bridge (yet), you once in a lifetime chance to complete my world. But no pressure of course.  You just do your best! wink








2 comments:

  1. i think thats what makes all this infertility stuff even worse...THE MONEY you spend to have a "chance" of it working! i think it will happen for you! my friend just gave birth to TWINS yesterday...a boy and a girl...from her first IVF round!!! GOOD LUCK!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were lucky to have really good insurance so we weren't out that type of expense but we still spend thousands last year on infertility stuff.
    Praying for you girl.

    ReplyDelete