Friday, July 12, 2013

A week of firsts.......

Its my first week back at work after 12 13 weeks of maternity leave. Don’t ask me how I managed to sneak that last week under the radar – I’m sneaky like that. haha  Anyway….

Last week was our first taste of the world that is DAYCARE. And yes, it is a whole new world in itself. It was also our first trip to the Children’s ER. My son’s first IV, first x-ray, and first ultrasound, (and arguably my first heart attack), our first family beach trip which coincided with Blake’s first Fourth of July and our first family stomach virus – its main symptom being projectile vomiting. I know what you’re thinking here – FUN TIMES right?  Someone asked me this morning how I was still functioning? I’m sorry – I didn’t know that I was. In fact, I’m pretty sure my brain is bleeding at this very moment.


In all the madness, here is what I’ve learned:

Breastfeeding is the hardest goddman thing that exists. Anyone that tells you different is lying. in fact the next person who says “it shouldn’t hurt” is getting a karate chop to their solar plexus. The end.

If you have plans for the following day and have to get up early for any reason, your child will NOT sleep one single bit. Not even a minute. The ENTIRE NIGHT.

Even if you have the best, most loving, helpful supportive husband on earth, you will want to pummel him into next week every time he gets within a mile radius.  You will have to bite your tongue clean off every time he opens his mouth.  He will walk around like a king because he changed one diaper in a week.  He will constantly point things out like “the baby spit up” or “he lost a sock” but will make no gesture to wipe the spit up or pick up and reapply the damn sock. It won’t even cross his tiny little mind. But thank god he told you because otherwise you would never be able to figure those things out for yourself. Ppfftttttt

Every woman in your family will tell you that your baby is starving to death even if you have feed him round the clock for 3 days and he is clearly vomiting when fed in excess. Apparently that is the ONLY reason babies cry.  Oh and that “breast feeding nonsense” needs to cease immediately. (I’m plotting to nurse until he is 5 just to prove a point and well yes be spiteful!!!!!!!!)

If you let your baby nap, everyone in the f’n world will say “he won’t sleep a wink tonight” even though decades of medical research says that a baby that naps well, sleeps better at night. Doctors, what the hell do they know, right?

SLEEP WHEN HE SLEEPS. If I hear this again I will lay in traffic. I swear.  As fantastic as this is in theory, I also have to eat, shit, shower, brush my teeth, do laundry, empty diaper pails (since I am clearly the only one capable of this task), grocery shop, make dinner, clean, pay bills, pump, wash bottles (another task no one else seems capable of), and the other 356473893 things a woman has to do during the day. Forget putting on makeup. There’s no point when you don’t get to shower until 5 pm and there is no amount of concealer that could cover up the ravines that are your eye sockets.  

Cute baby clothes are worthless. By day two all that matters is that they are not still in the same outfit they came home from the hospital in and there are no visible poop stains to judging eyes. Oh and CLOROX 2 is your friend. Dreft is a big bottle of worthlessness.

The antics of boys starts immediately. This is what happens when he hears something that even remotely resembles a fart noise.




***SIGH*** Me thinks I’ve got my work cut out for me.


Happy Friday……….

7 comments:

  1. You're a hoot! YOu're probably going to want to come through the computer and punch my lights out but I honestly think a lot of your stress is coming from breast feeding. I know it's every woman's choice but after choosing NOT to do it and then talking to other Moms who did and then stopped..it seems that babies are a lot(not all of the time)happier with formula. They sleep better and longer b/c formula holds them longer, and it takes the pressure off Mom. It also forces Dad to help out more because he CAN!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no i get that. BUT we had to substitute formula in the beginning and it was HORRIBLE on his poor little stomach. i hope we never have to go thru that again!!

      Delete
  2. Also, try giving him a probiotic daily now that he's in daycare. We use the powdered Culturelle. Expensive, but Shelby hasn't been sick other than a slight cold and she's been there for 4 months now. Doctor says it's the thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hillarious!! Man, I complain about "advice" in the infertile world but I forget it will happen on the other side. My sister (whose baby is 9 months) almost laid in traffic herself with everyone saying "he is probably hungry." LOL. I love the "typical boy" shot! So so cute! My nephew didn't smile that young, you're guy is a cutie! Sorry about the battle to nurse, this shocked me too when I watched my sister how hard it is :( Oh the joys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whew, that sounds about right! Hang in there...all of a sudden it just gets better. I'm still nursing and he turns one this week. I do supplement formula for his two bottles at daycare since 9 months or so. It is awesome when they start nursing super fast. Like 15 minute sessions instead of 45.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! You are super mom!
    I am both, super entertained (in a fellow mom-to-be way) and scared shitless (also in a fellow soon mom-to-be way) by your post!
    Ok, first, your little boy looks uber healthy and happy so you are definitely doing all the right things no matter how much advice others give...keep it up!
    And secondly, forget all the free advice from moms, mother in laws, neighbours, etc etc...people just love to talk shit, for the sake of talking...did you ask for it? NO. Well then F*** off.
    AND for the record: breastfeeding is hard.
    You are doing great. You will know when it is enough and when baby can move on to formula and make your life easier :)
    Sending you good vibes (while I tremble in my shoes, waiting for my already weakened infertile self to go through this new test of motherhood! I must admit, I could use a huge glass of wine right now)
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, P.S. I already feel like a shitty mom cos I am deathly scared of the delivery and secretly wishing for a C-section...so I can only imagine what the breastfeeding and lack of sleep challenge will do to my self esteem!!! :((

    ReplyDelete