Monday, November 12, 2012

The Scary I Promised

Our first trimester blood work showed an increased risk of Down’s. The longest week of my life passed before we got results of a new test (MaterniT21) that is 99.1% accurate. It actually takes the baby’s DNA from my blood and tests it for chromosomal abnormalities. Thank the good Lord that came back negative for all three trisomies.  Oh but the fun does NOT end there. At our anatomy scan last week they discovered baby J (For our last name – no indication of name because well, we don’t have one yet. Ha!)  is missing the middle digit of its pinky finger. Which is apparently a soft marker for Down’s. **sigh*** At this point I am just wondering what a normal appointment/ ultrasound with no bad news would be like?!?!?!



So the scenarios are as follows:  a) we do an amnio which is 99.7% accurate but also carries a miscarriage risk, b) the digit still might develop, c) it means nothing since 1 in 3 people in the general population have this and the only result is a slightly bent pinky finger or d) we stop this madness and hope and pray for a healthy baby.

As you can imagine, we have opted for  scenario D. Otherwise, I am going to lose my ^%$*&^$# mind. SERIOUSLY. There is still a .9% chance my baby has Down’s Syndrome but I know I cannot change the outcome. If it’s true, then so be it. I just know that I refuse to spend this entire pregnancy worrying about every little thing. God has already made his plans for this child and my job is to love and raise it no matter what. And dammit that is what I am going to do.

The moral of the story is, when you are over age 35 and trying to start a family, the medical community just likes to scare the SHIT out of you.
BASTARDS.




3 comments:

  1. oh wow! it seems like you cant catch a break with everything. i think your right, that option D is probably best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have gone for D myself. I opted out of ALL of the testing.
    Of course, they looked at the 17week scan for Down's but didn't see any signs. Other than that we have no clue. I'm praying for a healthy baby too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for option D. Enjoy the pregnany and I agree, God's already set the plans. This same exact thing happened to my best friend and she got so stressed and scared, opted for a later ultrasound to see if it develops, and the baby was perfectly fine. I hate all the "what ifs" and "maybes" they just freak us out. Praying for a healthy baby and a smooth sailing pregnancy from here on out!

    ReplyDelete